Celebrate Safely This 4th of July
Saturday is Independence Day and that means fireworks! Our country has celebrated with fireworks every 4th of July since 1777 and, unfortunately every year there are numerous injuries related to this long-standing celebration practice. This year, as we near the holiday, I share with you some safety reminders to keep you and your children safe.
Prepare Before You Light
- Use legal fireworks, available at licensed outlets.
- Store fireworks out of children’s reach.
- Keep pets safe indoors.
- Always keep water handy.
Think Safety First
- Only adults should light fireworks.
- Only use outdoors.
- Do not throw fireworks or hold in your hand.
- Protect your eyes.
- Light one firework at a time and move away quickly.
- Never relight a “dud.”
Be Responsible After
- Soak used fireworks in water.
- Be considerate–clean up used fireworks.
- Keep matches and lighters away from children.
Have a happy and safe 4th of July!
William Powell III, or Billy as he as known to most, is a Regional Safety Manager for Donley’s, Inc.
Learn more about Donley’s safety program.