Fall Protection Barrier Systems
Controlled access zones and their use (Only for leading edge, precast concrete erection work, and steel erection activities) shall conform to the following provisions.
- When used to control access to areas where leading edge and other operations are taking place the controlled access zone shall be defined by a control line or by any other means that restricts access.
- When control lines are used, they shall be erected not less than 6 feet nor more than 25 feet from the unprotected or leading edge, except when erecting precast concrete members.
- When erecting precast concrete members, the control line shall be erected not less than 6 feet nor more than 60 feet or half the length of the member being erected, whichever is less, from the leading edge.
- The control line shall extend along the entire length of the unprotected or leading edge and shall be approximately parallel to the unprotected or leading edge.
- The control line shall be connected on each side to a guardrail system or wall.
- Each line shall be flagged or otherwise clearly marked at not more than 6-foot intervals with high-visibility material.
- Each line shall be rigged and supported in such a way that its lowest point (including sag) is not less than 39 inches from the walking/working surface and its highest point is not more than 45 inches from the walking/working surface.
- Each line shall have a minimum breaking strength of 200 pounds.
- A hole is any opening greater that 2” in it smallest direction. All Holes must be covered or protected with guardrails and toe boards.
- Covers located in roadways and vehicular aisles shall be
capable of supporting, without failure, at least twice the maximum axle load of the largest vehicle expected to cross over the cover.
- All other covers shall be capable of supporting, without failure, at least twice the weight of employees, equipment, and materials that may be imposed on the cover at any one time.
- All covers shall be secured when installed so as to prevent accidental displacement by the wind, equipment, or employees.
All covers shall be color coded or they shall be marked with the word “HOLE” or “COVER” to provide warning of the hazard.
SAFETY REMINDERS– FAILURE TO IMPLEMENT AN APPROPRIATE SYSTEM IS GROUNDS FOR IMMEDIATE DISCIPLINARY ACTION INCLUDING DISMISSAL FROM THE SITE.