Accidents on construction sites are usually a result of someone not paying attention or knowing how to recognize a safety hazard. Construction companies who focus on developing an attitude of safety in their workforce have about 1/5 as many on-the job accidents or injuries.
Some general rules of safety include:
- Learn the safe way to do your job.
- Don’t jump from one elevation to another.
- Don’t work under suspended loads.
- Remove protruding nails or bend them over.
- Keep the work area clear of debris.
- Use the personal protective equipment required for the job.
- Treat all electrical wires as being live.
- Use the right tool for the right job.
- Be sure all tools are in good shape.
- Keep scaffolds free of excess weight.
Four Hazard Avoidance Rules
- Know the safe way to work, and then follow the safe way all the time.
- Maintain safe working conditions – for yourself and others around you.
- Work safely, setting the example, and encourage others to do so.
- Report all accidents and near misses to your employer.
Help expand the list above by posting a way you incorporate safety into your work routine!