Donley's Firsts!

Several firsts for Donley’s in its history:

  • 1962: First contractor to own and use a tower crane in Cleveland. This was to construct the Howard Johnson’s Motor Lodge at East 107th Street and Euclid Avenue.
  • 1969: First contractor to use a slip form system on a building in Cleveland. A 29-level elevator shaft was built at the Cleveland Trust building on East Ninth Street. This process allows for concrete to be poured into a continuously moving form so there are no joints, offering superior strength and gaining time on the schedule.
  • 1971: First contractor to use flying forms, which are assembled sections “flown” in by a crane and can be reused from one story to the next without being dismantled—saving time and labor. This process was used in 1971 for the Eaton Center headquarters (1100 Superior Ave. NE).
  • 1994: First Build Ohio Award won by Donley’s from the Associated General Contractors of Ohio for construction more than $10 million—Gateway Project.
  • 2006: $100 million in annual revenue
  • 2008: $200 million in annual revenue
  • 2010: The Cleveland Clinic $141 million East 89th Street Service Center & Parking Deck was our first project over $100 million
  • 2015: $96 million in self-performed concrete
  • 2016: Projected to top $300 million in annual revenue
  • 2016: First project application in the country to be submitted to the Green Parking Council. The Universities at Shady Grove’s Parking Garage 2 in Rockville, Maryland, is expected to be one of the first parking garages in the world to be recognized for its sustainable design, technology, construction and management.